SELECTED AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- Governor's Arts Award, 1985, State of Alabama.
- Alumnus Arts Award, University of Alabama, College of Arts and Sciences, 1997.
- Artists Fellowship, National Endowment for the Arts/Southern Arts Federation, 1989.
- Artists Fellowship, Tennessee State Arts Commission, 1998-99.
- Artists Fellowships, Alabama State Council on the Arts, 1988, 1995.
- Harriet Murray Award, Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham, AL.
- Renwick Gallery, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, DC.
- High Museum of Art, Atlanta, GA.
- Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham, AL.
- Mobile Museum of Art, Mobile, AL.
- Huntsville Museum of Art, Huntsville, AL.
- Tennessee State Museum, Nashville, TN.
- Columbus Museum, Columbus, GA.
- Georgia Museum of Art, Athens, GA.
- Art Museum of South Texas, Corpus Christi, TX.
- New Britain Museum of American Art, New Britain, CT.
- Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport, Atlanta, GA.
- Your Personal Hangups, Center for Art in Wood, Philadelphia, PA, 2012.
- Craig Nutt: Wood Transformed, Leigh Yawkey Woodson Museum of Art, Wausau, WI, 2009
- Craig Nutt: Certified Organic (Retrospective), Mobile Museum of Art, Mobile, AL, 2008.
- Traditions/Innovation: American Masterpieces of Southern Craft and Traditional Art, Southern Arts Federation, Various Venues through 2010.
- Craig Nutt: Flying Objects & Tossed Salads, Southern Ohio Museum, Portsmouth, OH, 2005.
- Function Follows Form, Craft Alliance, St.Louis, MO, 2004.
- Art of Tennessee, Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville, TN, 2003.
- Studio Art Furniture Invitational, Arkansas Art Center, Little Rock, AR, 2002
- Southeastern Craft Innovations, Knoxville Museum of Art, Knoxville, TN, 2002.
- North American Wood Turning Since 1930, Wood Turning Center & Yale University Art Gallery, venues: Minneapolis Institute of Art, Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian’s American Art Museum (2001), Yale University Art Gallery (2002).
- Objects for Use: Handmade by Design, American Craft Museum, New York, N, 2001.
- Studio Furniture: A Fine Art Invitational, Memphis College of Art, Memphis, TN, 2000.
- Craig Nutt: Furniture & Sculpture, Joan Derryberry Art Gallery, Tennessee Technological University, Cookeville, TN, 1999.
- Craig Nutt & Tom Lee: Fellowship Exhibition, Tennessee Arts Commission, Nashville, TN, 1999.
- Celebrating the Creative Spirit: Contemporary Southeastern Furniture, Mobile Museum of Art, Mobile, AL. (Touring exhibition), 1998.
- Craig Nutt: Furniture With a Flair, Huntsville Museum of Art, Huntsville, AL, 1997.
- Solo Exhibition, University of North Alabama Art Gallery, Florence, AL, 1997.
- Survey of North American Contemporary Furniture, Neuberger Museum, Purchase, NY, 1997.
- Please Be Seated: Masters of the Art of Seating, Henry Morrison Flagler Museum, Palm Beach, FL, 1995.
- Alabama Impact: Contemporary Artists With Alabama Ties, Mobile Museum of Art, Mobile, AL; Huntsville Museum of Art, Huntsville, AL, 1995.
- Craig Nutt: From Fine Furniture to Flying Vegetables, Solo Exhibition, Clark Hall Gallery, Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond, LA, 1994.
- Solo Exhibition, Meredith Gallery, Baltimore, MD, 1993.
- Artists, Architects and Designers: Furniture of Our Century, High Museum of Art at Georgia Pacific, Atlanta, GA, 1991.
- Seeds of Change, Smithsonian Institution, National Museum of Natural History, Washington, DC.(1991-1993).
- Feet First: The Shoe Show, (Craig Nutt & Gaza Bowen), Sarratt Gallery, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 1991
- Focus: Four Alabama Artists, Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham, AL, 1990.
- Solo Exhibition, Huntsville Museum of Art, Huntsville, AL, 1989.
- Solo Exhibition, Great American Gallery, Atlanta, GA 1988.
- Political Statements, Sarratt Gallery, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN. 1986. Touring exhibition (Southern Arts Federation).
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS FEATURING WORK
- 500 Cabinets, Lark Books, 2010.
- New Masters of the Wooden Box, Oscar P. Fitzgerald, Fox Chapel Publishing, 2009.
- 500 Tables, Lark Books, 2009.
- Alabama Masters: Artists and Their Work, ed. Georgine Clarke, Alabama State Council on the Arts, 2008.
- Studio Furniture of the Renwick Gallery, Oscar P. Fitzgerald, Fox Chapel Publishing, 2008.
- 500 Chairs, (Contributor, juror, introduction), Lark Books, 2008.
- Penland Book of Woodworking, Lark Books, 2006.
- Art of Tennessee, Frist Center for the Visual Arts, 2003.
- Artful Jesters, by Nicholas Roukes, Ten Speed Press, 2003.
- Wood Art Today, by Dona Z. Meilach, 2003
- Scratching the Surface – Art and Content in Contemporary Wood, by Michael Hosaluk, 2002, Guild Publishing.
- Masterpieces East & West - from the collection of the Birmingham Museum of Art, 1993, Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham, AL.
- American Craft, Dec.05/Jan.06, Review: Craig Nutt, Southern Ohio Museum, Portsmouth.
- American Craft, April/May 1995, Be Seated (Feature on "Please Be Seated: Masters of the art of Seating, Flagler Museum).
- American Craft, December 1987/January 1988: Portfolio.
- Mojo, July 2001, Pataphysical Graffiti, by Gerald E. Brennan, account of art and music activities in 1970’s.
- Fine Woodworking, January/February, 1991, Craig Nutt: Combining humor and a bit of Cayenne, by Gary Weisenburger.
- Southern Accents, September, 1988, Craig Nutt: From Fine Furniture to Flying Vegetables, by Laura Lieberman.
University of Alabama, 1968-1972, BA 1972 (Major: Religious Studies, minor: Psychology).
1998-Present: Self-Employed Studio Artist, Kingston Springs, TN.
2006-2016: Director of Programs, Craft Emergency Relief Fund, Montpelier, VT.
2006: Interim Executive Director, Tennessee Association of Craft Artists, Nashville, TN.
1997-1998: Self-Employed Studio Artist, Smithville, TN.
1979-1997: Self-Employed Studio Artist, Northport, AL.
1977-1979: Master Craftsman, Studio Industries of Tuskaloosa, Inc., Tuscaloosa, AL (Business Incubator).
1972-1977: Antique Restorer, Boykin Antiques, Tuscaloosa, AL.